USS Orleck - DD-886
Built in 1945 by Consolidated Steel Shipbuilding in Orange, Texas, the USS ORLECK DD886 was launched into the Sabine River on 12 May 1945, and entered duty on 15 September. She served proudly in Korea and Vietnam, earning many prestigious awards and citations for participation in battle and service to her country, including four (4) battle stars earned during the Korean Conflict and fourteen (14) during the Vietnam War.
She was decommissioned in 1982, transferred to the Turkish government, renamed the TCG YUCETEPE, and served the Turkish Navy in the Persian Gulf in 1991. Turkey donated the ship to the Southeast Texas War Memorial and Heritage Foundation (SETWMHF) in 1999 to serve as a museum ship.
She returned to Orange by tow 11 August 2000 where she served as a museum ship until Hurricane Rita resulted in the loss of her berth. She arrived in Lake Charles, Louisiana, by tow on 20 May 2010, was transferred to the USS ORLECK Naval Museum, Inc., (USSONM) by act of donation on 22 June 2010, and was opened to the public on 10 April 2011 as a historic naval museum. She remains open to the public for tours and special events and is working toward a permanent berth on the west side of Lake Charles near the IH-10 Bridge.