USS Ling - (SS-297)
International call sign: November-Xray-November-Delta
Formerly operated by the Submarine Memorial Association until 2017 the USS Ling has since been closed after storm damage from hurricane Sandy, and the property where she is located has since begun redevelopment into condos. Currently Ling is under repair by the Louisville naval museum and local volunteers.
Like all WWII subs, the Ling takes her name from a fish. She was commissioned on June 8, 1945, destined for service in the Pacific. The war ended before the Ling saw active duty, however, and the sub later served as a training vessel -- equally important to fighting in the war, if a little less dramatic. But a tour of the Ling is dramatic indeed, and visitors will get a real feel for the courage it took for ninety-five officers and crew to brave the deep in such small, spartan quarters. On the other side of the coin the ingenuity of the sub's design is awe-inspiring. That so much metal and machinery can be packaged into a sleek craft that transports humans underwater is incredible.
After the SMA was evicted off the property Ling was left there to rot a, hole next to the 3-inch signal flare launcher opened allowing brackish water to enter the sub. Despite the watertight doors being shut the old seals, and where holes had been drilled through the bulkhead for a fire alarm system water entered every compartment. Two years Ling sat filled with water and stuck in approximately 6-10 feet of silt build up. In the fall of 2019, the Louisville naval museum formed with the goal of saving the Ling. LNM continues their efforts today with the support of the SMA, and local communities. Now LNM is removing the silt buildup on the starboard side using hydro blasting. Once this is completed a coffer dam will be set in place to begin welding new plates on the damaged ballast tanks. Plans call for her first drydocking since launching in 1943 at Bayonne drydocking. A permanent home is all set up at the former ship building company Jeff boat in Indiana. Where she will once again be opened up as a memorial to all those who served.