headerpic

Ambrose (LV-87)

ambroseThe United States Lightship LV-87 (Ambrose) is a lightship built 1907 and served at the Ambrose Channel station until 1932. She would be the first lightship to serve in the relocated position nearer the center of the channel. In 1921 would have the first radio beacon installed in the United States. This greatly assisted ships navigating the congested Ambrose Channel in dense fog. She would also be the last steam-powered vessel to hold the Ambrose Channel post. After the end of her Ambrose Channel assignment in 1932, LV-87 was assigned to various posts which included being used as an examination vessel during World War II. Although her final post was at the Scotland Station she is commonly known by the name of her most famous station, Ambrose.

LV-87 was decommissioned on March 4, 1966 from the Coast Guard after 59 years of service. In 1968 she was given to the South Street Seaport Museum in Lower Manhattan. Currently she is moored at Pier 16 on the East River and is used as a floating exhibit. In 1989, the lightship was declared a National Historic Landmark.

Source

Museum info:
Address: 12 Fulton Street, New York, NY 10038
Phone: (212) 748-8600

Facebook-Icon twitter icon instagram icon
Contact the museum:
email

From Address:

fShare
0
Pin It