The former lighthouse and buoy tender of Morbihan, Roi Gradlon, has been on display in the afloat space of the Port-museum since April 2015.
Built in 1948 in Le Havre, this emblematic ship had been assigned to Lorient since 1952 and was responsible for the maintenance of lighthouses and beacons in the waters of Morbihan, from the Laïta to the Vilaine. After 66 years of work, including 62 years in the Lighthouse and Beacon Service, the Roi Gradlon was decommissioned in 2014. The service then decided to seek a solution so as not to destroy it, due to the great heritage and emotional value of this ship which marked several generations of Lorient people and sailors.
It is at the Port-Museum that the historic buoy has cast its moorings where it can be visited by the public as a museum ship. However, the Roi Gradlon remains the property of the lighthouse and beacon service.
By completing the collection of work boats already on display afloat, the Roi Gradlon evokes maritime routes and signals.